RM SOTHEBY'S IS THE WORLD'S LARGEST AUCTION HOUSE FOR INVESTMENT-QUALITY AUTOMOBILES
Over the past 38 years, we have cemented our position as the market leader and successfully transformed the global automotive auction scene. We've helped elevate the perception of collector car auctions to premium events executed to the very highest of standards.
Our business has been fueled by a love of cars and a passion for producing results since 1976. Our vertically integrated range of services, from restoration and private treaty sales to auctions and estate planning—coupled with an expert team of Car Specialists, an international footprint, and a focus on product quality and inventiveness of presentation—provide an unsurpassed level of service to the global collector car market.
- #1 auction house by total value of cars sold in 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017
- #1 in number of cars sold greater than $1 million in 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017
- #1 in the industry for largest team of dedicated Car Specialists
- A truly global auction house with more than 10 auctions across six U.S. states and four countries per year
- The preferred auction house for Ferrari, including being named the Official Auction House for Ferrari's 70th Anniversary celebrations
In February 2015, RM Auctions formed a strategic partnership with Sotheby's to become RM Sotheby's, thus uniting the two companies for the full calendar of future automobile auctions. Today, RM Sotheby's stands as the only company in the world with the capabilities, resources, and expertise to effectively handle the sale of any car or collection—regardless of size or complexity.
AUCTIONS AMERICA INTEGRATION
In October 2017, RM Sotheby's announced that its Auctions America subsidiary would be fully integrated into the RM Sotheby's Group of Companies. All existing Auctions America sales—including Fort Lauderdale, Auburn Spring, and Auburn Fall—are now held under the RM banner. This integration will allow RM Sotheby's to seamlessly serve all levels of the diverse collector car market through one auction house and one team.
Events held under the RM Sotheby's banner will present blue-chip, investment-quality motor cars, primarily catering to established and seasoned collectors, with average automobile values above $300,000. Auctions held under the RM Sotheby's banner include Arizona, Paris, Amelia Island, Monaco, Villa Erba, Monterey, London, and California. Sales now held under the RM Auctions banner will present high-quality collector cars for the entry-level enthusiast through to the seasoned collector, with average automobile values under $300,000. Events to be held under the RM Auctions banner include Fort Lauderdale, Auburn Spring, Auburn Fall, and Hershey.
By bringing together these two auction powerhouses under one comprehensive brand, we can ensure that all levels of the hobby and all interests therein are well represented and that we can continue to serve our clients to the highest level.
A POWERFUL PARTNERSHIP
In recent years, automobile collecting has matured to an exercise in connoisseurship on par with the collection of fine art—a pursuit much older than the invention of the automobile. In February 2015, RM formed a strategic partnership with Sotheby's, one of the world's oldest and most well-respected auction houses, to become RM Sotheby's. This partnership adds over 270 years of experience in the auction and private sale of the world's most desirable fine art and collectibles, as well as appraisals, collection management, financial services, and global marketing. Since its launch, the partnership has proven extremely valuable in building a global platform for automobiles, with many feature cars selling to collectors introduced via the Sotheby's connection. Through working in concert with the Sotheby's team, RM has established the largest client network of any collector car auction house in the world.
Sotheby's has been uniting collectors with world-class works of art since 1744. Sotheby's became the first international auction house when it expanded from London to New York (1955), the first to conduct sales in Hong Kong (1973), India (1992), and France (2001), and the first international fine art auction house in China (2012). Today, Sotheby's presents auctions in 10 different salerooms, including New York, London, Hong Kong, and Paris, and Sotheby's BidNow programme allows visitors to view all auctions live online and place bids from anywhere in the world. Sotheby's offers collectors the resources of Sotheby's Financial Services, the world's only full-service art financing company, as well as the collection advisory services of its subsidiary, Art Agency, Partners. Sotheby's presents private sale opportunities in more than 70 categories, including S|2, the gallery arm of Sotheby's Global Fine Art Division, and two retail businesses, Sotheby's Diamonds and Sotheby's Wine. In February 2015, RM Auctions formed a strategic partnership with Sotheby's to become RM Sotheby's, the world's largest auction house for investment-quality automobiles. Sotheby's has a global network of 80 offices in 40 countries and is the oldest company listed on the New York Stock Exchange (BID).
SOTHEBY'S – HOW TO BUY
SOTHEBY'S – HOW TO SELL
Would you like to stay up to date with Sotheby's? Create an account and you will be able to:
- Access Condition Reports
- Watch Live Auctions
- Subscribe to Sale Notifications and Announcements
- Create Wish Lists
- Track Sale and Lot Activities
- Receive Recommendations
- Manage your Sotheby's Account and Bidding Activity
AN UNPARALLELED GLOBAL FOOTPRINT
Over the years, our auctions have been witness to hundreds of million-dollar-plus motor cars and averaged a 95 percent sell-through rate. We've had the pleasure of doing business with a truly global collector base, including buyers and sellers from more than 70 countries spanning the Middle East, Asia, Europe, Russia, Australasia, and the Americas.
With offices located in Canada, the Unites States, and Europe, RM Sotheby's has created an unparalleled global footprint. These locations allow us to present a diverse calendar of annual and bi-annual auction events throughout North America and Europe. Each RM Sotheby's event possesses a distinct character influenced by its location, ensuring that any automobile will find the perfect auction venue on our roster, whether it's in the traditional classic car Mecca of Monterey, California, or amongst the world's elite collectors in Monaco or Villa d'Este.
Arizona – January
Paris – February
Amelia Island – March
Fort Lauderdale – April
Auburn Spring – May
Monterey – August
Auburn Fall – September
London – September
Hershey – October
California – December
Villa Erba – May
Monaco – May
New York – December
THE LARGEST, MOST DEDICATED RESEARCH TEAM IN THE INDUSTRY
THE ONLY AUCTION HOUSE WITH A 360-DEGREE VIEW OF THE INDUSTRY
Every car entrusted to RM Sotheby's has a unique story, and we're here to tell it. The in-house marketing team finds creative ways to convey these stories to potential bidders that not only enhance the sellers' experience, but also contribute to buyers' confidence. Each one of our auctions receives a dedicated marketing plan fully tailored to the location of the auction and the types of cars consigned. Having a dedicated team to make sure each and every car is covered in every type of media possible is the only way to fully find the right buyers and expose them to the market. RM Sotheby's marketing team ensures that we have explored every avenue before sale day, and no other team in the collector car industry will go to the lengths to achieve the results your collection deserves.
STRIVING FOR EXCELLENCE AND BREAKING WORLD RECORDS
- Arizona 2018: RM Sotheby's diverse roster of blue-chip collector cars spanning pre-war American classics through iconic European sports cars and high-performance modern collectibles powered its 19th annual Arizona sale to a final $36,523,620 with 88 percent of all lots sold at the Arizona Biltmore, 18–19 January. The star of the sale was an exceptional 1966 Shelby 427 'Semi-Competition' Cobra, which sold for a world-record price of $2,947,500.
- Paris 2018: RM Sotheby's enjoyed a fantastic night at its fifth annual Paris sale, 7 February, bringing in a sale total of €23,745,225 with 83 percent of the 84 lots successfully sold. Demonstrating continued interest in low-production modern-era hypercars, the 2017 Bugatti Chiron was the night's top seller, achieving an incredible €3,323,750.
- Amelia Island 2018: RM Sotheby's returned to Amelia Island for its 20th annual sale as the official auction of the renowned Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance. The single-day sale achieved $27.7 million, with a strong 86 percent of all lots sold. Top sale honors were led by a 1966 Ferrari 275 GTB, one of approximately 58 long-nose, torque-tube, triple-carburetor, steel-bodied examples. Retaining its original chassis, engine, and gearbox, the beautifully presented car sold for a final $2,205,000.
- Fort Lauderdale 2018: RM Auctions returned to Florida the weekend of 6–7 April for the company's 16th annual Fort Lauderdale sale, where the auction house achieved $19.1 million in total sales with a strong 76 percent of all lots finding new homes. The most valuable lot of the two-day sale was the 1962 Mercedes-Benz 300 SL Roadster, eventually selling to a bidder on the phone for a final $1,540,000 following a lengthy competition.
- Monaco 2018: RM Sotheby's biennial Monaco auction, held 12 May at the Grimaldi Forum, totaled €23,317,290, drawing global interest from bidders representing 36 countries.
- Auburn Spring 2018: RM Auctions returned to the historic Auburn Auction Park in Indiana on 11–12 May for the company's 8th annual Auburn Spring collector car weekend. This represented the first Auburn Spring sale held under the RM Auctions banner, following the integration of former RM Sotheby's Group subsidiary, Auctions America, in fall of 2017. RM Auctions achieved an overall $6,037,635 in total sales, with a strong 84 percent of the 500 lots on offer finding new homes across the two-day auction.
- June 2018: RM Sotheby's announced that it will expand its reach and level of client service with the creation of RM Sotheby's Private Sales, a division of the RM Sotheby's Group. June's formal launch included a dedicated section on rmsothebys.com, providing increased ease of service to RM Sotheby's global network of clientele. The division was launched with the most iconic supercar of the modern era—a 1998 McLaren F1 'LM-Specification.'
- The Dingman Collection 2018: RM Auctions returned to Hampton, New Hampshire, 23–24 June for the company's concluding presentation of The Dingman Collection, achieving an overall $7,027,334 in total sales, with all lots finding new homes across the two-day auction event. The Dingman Collection, offered entirely without reserve, comprised the remarkable cars and collectibles of the late Mr. Michael Dingman, long-time Ford Motor Company Director and one of the most important Ford collectors of modern times.
- Monterey 2018: RM Sotheby's celebrated an historic weekend in Monterey, 24–25 August, with a new record for the most valuable car ever sold at auction, selling a 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO for $48,405,000. The 250 GTO championed RM Sotheby's most historic Monterey offering to date, which resulted in an overall total of $157,931,940 – one of the company's all-time top performances, the highest-grossing auction of Monterey Car Week, and a near 19 percent increase over 2017 results at the same venue.
- Auburn Fall 2018: RM Auctions celebrated a now 48-year Labor Day tradition with its annual Auburn Fall sale (30 August – 2 September) at the Auburn Auction Park in Indiana. The four days of spirited auction action resulted in $21.7 million in total sales, with a strong 81 percent of all lots sold. The top sale of the auction was the 1957 Mercedes-Benz 300 SL Roadster, a first-year example which sold for a final $852,500 just after it crossed the block.
- London 2018: RM Sotheby's enjoyed an evening which saw £9.4 million-worth of outstanding cars go under the hammer in what was the company's 12th annual return to Battersea Evolution in London on 5 September. Proving once again that rare, modern-era supercars remain in strong demand with collectors and enthusiasts, it was the 2003 Ferrari Enzo that proved its star quality by leading the results, selling for £1.97 million to nearly eclipse its high estimate.
Summary: The RM Sotheby's Group, comprising both RM Sotheby's and RM Auctions, maintained and extended its leading market position in collector car auctions in 2017, reporting more than $526 million in global auction sales with a strong 80 percent sell-through rate.
- Arizona 2017: RM Sotheby's sold the most expensive car over the Arizona auction weekend—a 1939 Mercedes-Benz 540 K Special Roadster—for over $6 million.
- Amelia Island 2017: Friday evening's exclusive sale of 'A Gentleman's Collection: The Pride & Passion of Orin Smith' realized $31 million, highlighted by the 1936 Lancia Astura Cabriolet Series III "Tipo Bocca" for over $2 million.
- Villa Erba 2017: RM Sotheby's offered the ultimate hypercar trinity at its Villa Erba sale, 27 May, on the shores of Lake Como, Italy. The Trio comprised a rare road-going McLaren P1 GTR with only 360 kilometres; a 'Paint to Sample' Arrow Blue, Weissach-optioned, Porsche 918 Spyder; and an 'as-new' Ferrari LaFerrari.
- April 2017: RM Sotheby's launched its exclusive television documentary series Million Dollar Car Hunters, produced by Waddell Media and co-commissioned by BBC Worldwide and Channel 4 for BBC Worldwide's global channels.
- Monterey 2017: $22.6 million Aston Martin DBR1/1 set the record for most valuable British automobile ever sold at auction.
- Monterey 2017: The second night of the Monterey sale was led by the Ferrari Performance Collection, a single-owner group made up of 13 iconic road-going Ferraris that brought a total of more than $16.5 million. The group, which spanned over 50 years of the marque's rich heritage, boasted low mileage and had been carefully maintained by its owner.
- Ferrari 2017: RM Sotheby's achieved an astonishing €63 million for 38 cars and select memorabilia at its exclusive auction held during the 70th anniversary celebrations of Ferrari at the Ferrari Factory in Maranello, Italy.
- Hershey 2017: RM Sotheby's once again celebrated the American automobile at Hershey Lodge during the world-renowned AACA Eastern Division Fall Meet with $15.9 million in total sales and an incredible 96 percent sell-through rate across two days.
- Sotheby's Contemporary Art Evening Sale (November 2017): On 16 November in Manhattan, Sotheby's sold the Michael Schumacher Monaco Grand Prix-, Drivers' Championship-, and Constructors' Championship-winning Ferrari F2001 for $7,504,000 (Estimate: $4,000,000–$5,500,000), setting a new world record for a modern-era Formula 1 car at auction.
- New York 2017: Both art and car enthusiasts flocked to Sotheby's Manhattan headquarters to watch over 30 iconic automobiles find new homes during RM Sotheby's third Manhattan sale, which achieved a sales total of $45.5 million. The star of the sale, an open-headlight 1959 Ferrari 250 GT LWB California Spider Competizione, chassis no. 1451 GT, sold for a final $17,990,000 to exceed its pre-sale estimate of $14–$17 million.
Summary: RM Group of Companies led the market in 2016 with $450 million in global auction sales.
- Monterey 2016: Ex-Ecurie Ecosse Jaguar D-Type smashes record for a British automobile sold at auction at a final price of over $21 million.
- Monterey 2016: CSX 2000, the very first Shelby Cobra, achieves over $13 million, setting a new auction benchmark for an American car.
- Duemila Route 2016: RM Sotheby's captured the attention of the global collector community with record-breaking Duemila Ruote sale in Milan. The three-day auction was the largest private automotive collection ever sold in Europe. Smashing expectations, the sale generated an outstanding €51.3 million.
- November 2016: RM Sotheby's partnered with Ferrari for the exclusive charity auction of a one-of-a-kind LaFerrari, which sold for a record $7 million.
Summary: RM Group of Companies (RM Sotheby's and Auctions America) posted $593 million in global auction sales in 2015.
- February 2015: RM Auctions and Sotheby's announced the formation of a new strategic partnership as Sotheby's acquired a 25 percent ownership interest in RM Auctions, which has since been known as RM Sotheby’s.
- May 2015: RM Sotheby's set a new record for a private automobile collection auction, generating over $53 million with 100 percent of all lots sold at its sale of the Paul and Chris Andrews Collection in Fort Worth, Texas.
- London 2015: A 1953 Jaguar C-Type Works Lightweight, chassis XKC 052, sold for $13.2 million, setting a new record for any Jaguar automobile sold at auction.
- Monterey 2015: RM Sotheby's generated the highest ever total for a collector car auction: $172.9 million in sales at its flagship Monterey, California, event.
- 1964 Ferrari 250 LM claimed the top sale of Monterey Car Week at a record $17.6 million.
- The Pinnacle Portfolio set a new auction benchmark for a single-day, single-vendor auction at $75.4 million.
- RM Auto Restoration claimed sixth Best of Show win at the prestigious Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance.
- New York 2015: RM Sotheby's rounded out a banner 2015 season in New York City, realizing more than $73.5 million in auction sales with 81 percent of all lots sold during its exclusive 'Driven by Disruption' event.
- Janis Joplin Porsche shattered pre-sale estimate, selling for an incredible $1.76 million.
Summary: RM Group of Companies (RM Auctions and Auctions America) generated $470 million in sales in 2014.
- Arizona 2014: 1958 Ferrari 250 GT LWB California Spider set new Arizona auction record, selling for an outstanding $8.8 million.
- Paris 2014: 1955 Jaguar D-Type achieves €3.7 million at RM's inaugural Paris auction, establishing a new auction world record for the model.
- Amelia Island 2014: $6.6 million 1937 Delahaye 135 Competition Court Torpedo Roadster topped RM's record-breaking Amelia Island sale.
- Monterey 2014: Ferraris dominated RM's Saturday sale as the 1967 Ferrari 275 GTB/4 delivered new to King of Cool Steve McQueen garnered over $10 million, and the 1964 Ferrari 275 GTB/C Speciale realized $26.4 million.
Summary: RM Group of Companies (RM Auctions and Auctions America) celebrated a record-setting 2013 with $442 million in sales and Best of Show at Pebble Beach.
- February 2013: RM Auctions' highly anticipated Bruce Weiner Microcar Museum sale generated more than $9.1 million with 100 percent of all lots sold. A true labor of love carefully amassed over more than 15 years by businessman and lifelong collector, Bruce Weiner, the museum was internationally celebrated as the world's finest and largest collection of rare microcars. After making a decision to disperse the collection, Weiner entrusted RM Auctions to present 200 vehicles and 284 lots of collectibles 'without reserve,' setting the scene for one of the most colorful and fun collector car auctions in recent history.
- New York 2013: RM Auctions and Sotheby's momentous Art of the Automobile auction generated over $62.8 million in sales in two hours of furious bidding.
- Records tumbled with the historic 1964 Ferrari 250 LM by Carrozzeria Scaglietti, achieving $14.3 million, while the stunning 1938 Talbot-Lago T150-C SS Teardrop Cabriolet by Figoni et Falaschi sold for over $7 million.
- 93 percent of all lots were sold to an international audience of bidders representing 17 countries.
Summary: RM Group of Companies (RM Auctions and Auctions America) posted more than $360 million in auction sales in 2012.
- February 2012: Highly anticipated Milhous Collection generated $38.3 million in sales with 100% of all lots sold. The result of over 50 years of dedicated collecting by brothers Bob & Paul Milhous, the sale presented a range of exceptionally rare mechanical musical instruments, automobiles, and collectibles before a packed house.
- April 2012: RM Auctions' Dingman Collection auction realized $9.88 million in sales, with 100 percent of all lots sold. Characterized by a superb assortment of Americana, the Dingman Collection represented many years of careful and meticulous acquisition by prominent businessman, investor, and philanthropist, Michael Dingman, a former Ford Motor Company director for over 21 years. In total, the weekend's sale lifted the gavel on nearly 50 automobiles and more than 1,000 automotive signs and collectibles (offered in 845 individual lots) before a packed house.
- August 2012: RM Auctions announced it will be the official collector car auction partner for the Windsor Castle Concours of Elegance.
- August 2012: RM Auctions continued its busy summer calendar of events, posting a spectacular €10.4 million with 100 percent of all lots sold at its Aalholm Automobil Museum sale in Denmark. Attracting unprecedented interest from around the world, thousands of enthusiasts descended on the historic Aalholm Automobil Museum on the southern Danish island of Lolland for the single-day sale to secure a piece of Danish history. In total, the five-hour auction presented 181 lots before an enthusiastic packed house.
ONE OF THE LARGEST AUTOMOTIVE RESTORATION FACILITIES IN THE WORLD
VISIT THE RM AUTO RESTORATION WEBSITE FOR MORE INFORMATION