£325,625 GBP | Sold
| London, United Kingdom
- The 337th of 353 examples of the 250 GT Coupé produced between 1958 and 1960
- Desirable Series II variant, benefitting from the later four-speed overdrive gearbox and four-wheel disc brakes
- Originally specified in Grigio Argento over a Pelle Nera interior; exterior is now finished in Nero
- Retains its matching-numbers “outside-plug” Tipo 128F 3.0-litre V-12 engine
- Maintained by marque specialist Hargreaves Services and DK Engineering with invoices to view in accompanying history file
- Offered with a toolkit, jack, manual with leather folio, and coveted Ferrari Classiche "Red Book"
Since the 1947 debut of Gioacchino Colombo’s landmark 125 S sportscar—the first to carry the Ferrari name—Maranello’s love affair with front-engined V-12 cars has endured. The evolutionary 2.0-litre 166 Inter of 1948 employed a similar concept in coupé form to become the company’s first bona fide GT car, while in 1958 the 3.0-litre V-12-engined 250 GT Pinin Farina Coupé would effectively become the earliest series-production Ferrari.
Constructed around a conventional steel ladder chassis, onto which elegant Pinin Farina coachwork was mounted, the 250 GT Coupé had a kerb weight of just 1,050 kilograms and offered near-150 mph performance. This was instrumental in the car becoming Ferrari’s most popular contemporary model, with 353 examples being produced between 1958 and 1960. Significant technical improvements were incorporated throughout the car’s production life, with later Series II cars gaining four-wheel disc brakes, a four-speed overdrive gearbox, and the more powerful 240-horsepower “outside-plug” Tipo 128F engine.
Chassis 1957 GT, offered here, was built near the end of the model’s production run as the 337th example made, thereby rendering it a desirable Series II variant. Factory records indicate that the car’s chassis was sent to Carrozzeria Pinin Farina on 30 April 1960; its body reached completion two months later. Subsequently returning to Maranello for final assembly in the elegant colours of Grigio Argento with a Pelle Nera interior, the car was issued with a Factory Certificate of Origin on 18 July. It was duly registered with Milanese licence plates and delivered on 28 July via Ferrari agent M.G.Crepaldi Automobili S.a.S to Milan-based Centro Eva S.p.A, for use by the company’s President, Sig. Bagnarelli.
The car remained with Centro Eva S.p.A until August 1966, at which point it was sold to Sig. Umberto Pellini of Marchirolo, roughly 40 miles north-west of Milan. He sold the car almost immediately to his sister, Signora Rosa Pellini—appropriately, a resident of Maranello. Throughout her three-year ownership, chassis 1957 GT was maintained by local Ferrari specialist Autofficina Toni Franco, whose proprietor had previously been employed by both Scuderia Ferrari and Ecurie Garage Francorchamps.
In September 1969, Signora Pellini sold chassis 1957 GT to Gian Paulo Sghedoni’s Modena Used Sports Cars concern, prior to its export to the United States. The car’s first known American owner was Richard Milford of Orinda, California, although an accompanying receipt dated 5 May 1977—for the sum of $3,500—suggests that it was already resident in the United States prior to his purchase. Incredibly, it would appear that Mr Milford kept the car off-road for some 25 years while the car was gently restored. During this time the Ferrari was subject to a bare metal respray, and invoices on file suggest that the engine may have been rebuilt in the time of Mr Milford’s ownership. It is believed that Mr Milford did not complete the work, and by 2005 custody of the car had passed to the Italian car enthusiast Herve Labesse of Benicia, California, who finally completed the multi-decade restoration. By 2008 the car had returned to Europe and into the ownership of Graham Clark of Alingsås, Sweden. It was subsequently offered for sale in London, and has remained in the UK following its acquisition by the current vendor in 2008.
In its current ownership, chassis 1957 GT has benefitted from restoration and servicing work performed by two of the country’s leading Ferrari specialists. Expenditure with Hargreaves Services totalled more than £43,000 until 2016, and included overhauls of the rear axle, braking system, overdrive unit, steering box and clutch. The car was meticulously prepared for Ferrari Classiche certification, which was awarded in 2014, and the car is offered with its coveted “Red Book”. It is also presented with a Ferrari manual in a leather folio.
Since 2017, maintenance of chassis 1957 GT has been undertaken by DK Engineering. Work included a full ignition and fuel system overhaul, rolling road tuning, a further overhaul of the rear axle, rebuilds of both cylinder heads, and cosmetic improvements. This has accounted for further expenditure of almost £29,000.
Since its lengthy restoration was concluded some 15 years ago, the car has only completed 5,000 miles in its current ownership. In this time, the Ferrari has featured in The Ferrari Owners’ Club GB invitational displays at the annual concours event, and participated in three Ferrari Classiche Cavalcade tours in Italy, including the inaugural 70th anniversary Classiche Cavalcade in Tuscany. The car was entered into the pre-Salon Privé driving tour in 2021, and was awarded 1st Place Showcar at Classics at The Villa in 2016.
Bidders should note that the UK registration number “250PF” is not included in the sale of this lot, but is available for purchase from the vendor by the winning bidder (price available upon application prior to sale).