$368,000 USD | Sold
| Houston, Texas
- Stunningly well-preserved Carrera 2.7 MFI, remaining with original owner for 39 years; two private owners from new
- Believed to be one of approximately 1,600 examples produced; extremely rare in the United States
- German home-market example, sold new via MAHAG of München
- Clad in its factory-original coat of Grand Prix White over original Dark Blue/Black trim with fabric inserts
- Retains numbers-matching engine and gearbox
- Accompanied by its original German Fahrzeugbrief, Porsche Certificate of Authenticity, original warranty and maintenance book, owner’s manuals, assortment of spare parts, and factory tools
In 1974, Porsche followed up its legendary Carrera RS with an updated range-topping Carrera, the 2.7-liter MFI (Mechanical Fuel Injection). The 2.7 MFI on offer here was built as a German home-market example and completed by the factory in Zuffenhausen wearing a finish of Grand Prix White over a Dark Blue/Black interior—a highly attractive combination. A Porsche Certificate of Authenticity on file attests to the car being factory-equipped with Koni shock absorbers, “S” brakes, a rear windshield wiper, tinted glass all around, electric sunroof, Blaupunkt Lubeck radio with cassette player, and Dunlop tires (note, however, that the Porsche COA incorrectly lists the interior color as “Black,” rather than the original Dark Blue/Black).
Reported to have initially been used as a dealer demonstration vehicle, it was first sold to Peter Leonhard Sandl of Ingolstadt on 7 March 1975. The car’s original German Fahrzeugbrief shows Sandl’s continued international registration into 1990. Upon moving to Canada, Sandl shipped the car to Vancouver via the Panama Canal aboard the ship Medeia. After collecting his Carrera, Sandl then drove it the more than 700 miles home to his farm in Rumsey, Alberta where it remained for the next several decades. Sandl started and ran the car monthly, though driving outings were limited to an annual trip to get the oil changed. Consequently, its odometer displayed a moderate 57,262 km (~35,581 miles) at time of cataloguing.
In late 2014, Sandl finally parted with his beloved 2.7 MFI; the White Collection acquired the car soon after via a broker, becoming just the second private owner of this rare 911 from new. Now offered for sale in a captivatingly original state, this Porsche importantly retains its numbers-matching engine and gearbox as well as its original Grand Prix White exterior and Dark Blue/Black interior, and it is accompanied by its original warranty and service book, ownership manuals, factory tools, and assortment of spare parts. The White Collection has continued Sandl’s fastidious care, starting and running the car to operating temperature on a monthly basis.
Remarkably well-preserved inside and out, this 911 Carrera 2.7 MFI is undoubtedly one of the most compelling examples of its kind to emerge at auction, offering an alluring opportunity for even the most discerning marque collector.